Last updated on February 28, 2018
To use send logs
- create a data extension using the send logging template (Each account can use one template and data extension for email messages and one template and data extension for SMS messages)
- Each data extension includes required fields with values use to identify the send, subscriber, and other information. To keep additional information in the send logging data extension, create a column in the data extension to contain it
- The names of the columns in the send logging data extension must exactly match the names of the attributes or the fields in the sendable data extensions to log any values
Create a Email Send Logging Data Extension
Create a data extension in Email Studio to store email send log data
3. Click Create From Template.
4. Select the checkbox for SendLog template
5. Click OK
6. Enter the name, external key and description for this data extension.
7. Leave the checkbox next to Used for Sending unchecked
8. Create additional fields for list attributes or data extension fields you would like to record in the send logging data extension
9.Select the Use Data Retention feature if desired
10. Click Save
Send Logging Best Practices and Tips
- Use data retention to limit the amount of data stored. Limit data storage to 10 days.
- Add 10 or fewer custom fields to the send log.
- Minimize the size of the fields used in a send log to the size required for the expected data.
- Limit the number of activities concurrently using a data extension. For example, schedule a query activity or report that is reading from the Send Log to run at a different than a send that uses the Send Log.
- Dates added are in UTC-6